I can’t believe I forgot to write a blog post yesterday! Well, I mean, I can believe it. I was busy with finishing a final project for school, after all. So I’ll write the post today. Apologies once again for a short one — this is the last week of my semester, so next time I should have something a bit meatier for you all.
Have you ever noticed all the lines there are that appear in way too many movies? Lines that just make you roll your eyes because of how overused, cliche, and just plain stupid they are?
Why do these lines still creep into scripts even after all these years of cinema? Is it really that hard to either nix them or replace them with something a little more creative?
You know the lines. Here’s a few prime examples:
- “You won’t get away with this!” I’m so sick of this one. It’s often spoken by the hero to the villain, so the hero either needs to start saying other things or just shut up. Also, a common villain response to this line is “Oh, I already have.” That also needs to die.
- “We have to get out of here!” Oh, really? REALLY? YOU DIDN’T THINK I COULD HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT ON MY OWN?!
- “We’re trapped!” Again, thanks, Captain Obvious.
- “Nooooooooooooooooooooo!” Admittedly, I think this works pretty well in some cases. In others, however, silence would probably be a lot more powerful.
- “Well, well, well.” Often used by a villain taunting the hero he’s just caught. Just… stop. Please.
- “I don’t like this.” and “I have a bad feeling about this.” Now, I’m willing to forgive Star Wars for the latter line — it’s kind of become a running joke in the series. Otherwise, though, meh.
- “RUN!” Um, how about we just have the characters scream and start running? More realistic, no?
- “There must be some mistake.” Not sure how this one might be replaced… I’ll think about it.
That’s all I’ve got for the moment. What are some overused lines that YOU wish would die?
See you all next week!